Wednesday 23 September 2015

Thank You Red Pepper!


Last week the Red Pepper gave me free space and promoted me, don’t worry whether it was negative or positive, I got press space. They talked about Germany juice something I didn’t know. I said they always had a sexual angle to what they write, don’t blame them, that defines them, as I said that is their unique business model. They deliver news in a different way from mainstream newspapers. They again gave me space this week. This time their topic was “GONE”, I love the drama that such headlines cause, once in a while it is damaging or annoying but when you know what is being written as facts, you bear with it. This time though there were no sexual innuendos but they did not lose the journalistic perspective of a story, some degree of controversy. They had the good things and the bad things. Am pleased they recognized my contribution to the transformation of higher education, I know my “haters” will not like to hear that. They closed it with the issue of my qualifications. True I changed my names between my O levels and A levels and my detractors have used that to try and pull me down. If there was an iota of truth in those allegations, I will not have survived the venom that has been spat at me over the years. In 1996, the top dogs in Makerere found a reason to throw me out and among the things they identified was this, they found the truth and that was laid to rest. Those who use this to date do it to embarrass me well knowing it is not true. I really don’t care what negative they say for as long as it is not true. I was an identifiable student in my school days for good and bad reasons some of which i will be embarrassed to talk about now especially given my religious affiliation. Those who knew me as a stubborn young man knew my abilities and background.

I have been a friend with the Red Pepper for a long time, I respect them for the ability to run a unique business but now and again, they hit you below the belt, bibaawo, as it is said. On the substance of what they wrote about me, it is true I made a statement that come the 21st MUBS Annual International Management Conference in 2016, I would not attend it as Principal of MUBS. This controversial office is constrained by the law, MUBS with 17,000 students is treated as a public tertiary institute and cannot grow anymore. The dynamics of the institution now require others to take that position of Principal. I love to teach and I hope that the environment will enable me pursue my passion of teaching and research after relinquishing this office.

Red Pepper, thank you for giving me that space.

No comments:

Post a Comment