Saturday 24 November 2012

Travelling out of the Country


This followed security fears after the Al-shabbab bomb attacks on the last day of the world cup in 2010. The Civil Aviation Authority made arrangements to have people lift luggage from the staircase of passenger who walked from the parking towards the departures on the terminal building. This is the first time it happened not finding a single soul to help with a luggage. I was able to lift the luggage and got to the top of the stairs sweating profusely as I crossed the road to go to the terminal building. Some vehicles passed me carrying non-Ugandan passengers who were going to check in like I was. Whenever I have gone to the airport, I have seen that the vehicles carrying visitors from Munyonyo Common Wealth Resort are allowed to drive up to the terminal building of course the other people are the VIPs. Do not ask me if I am a VIP. If I was, possibly I wouldn’t be writing this. Allowing these vehicles carrying international visitors is probably the biggest threat to the airport security. You know we tend to look at foreigners with respect than we do to fellow Ugandans. This is not only a problem of our unnecessary fear for foreigners but also a reflection of our lack of self-esteem. We continue to think other people are important than us. If we are to become independent, these are decisions we would rather not take. We should be proud Ugandans. There is nowhere in Uganda other than in Uganda that a Ugandan would ever be important. We are a long way from this. I know I am somebody because God doesn't make junk. I hope the security authorities could see this.

No comments:

Post a Comment